Saturday, August 4, 2007

How I got into the Civil War

I have tried to think of something to write about first, and I thought about this experiance.

I guess I was about 8 when I first got into the Civil War. I had loved to read our encyclopedia (don't ask why, the explanation would take another post), and I had seen pictures of the Civil War. But, for some reason, I had always thought it was between Britian and America, for the Confederate flags somewhat resembled British ones.

Then, I guess it was second grade. I was into the Revolutionary War, and George Washington. I loved the story of John Paul Jones and his defiant line, "I have not yet begun to fight." Then, one day, as I was looking for a good war book, I came across one of the books from the America's Wars series, at least, I think it was called that. I had just read their Revolutionary War book, and when I looked again, I saw one on the Civil War. I picked it up, and my first page I opened to was several soldiers in a cornfield, cheering. I read the caption, and it talked about Northern troops beating back larger Southern forces.

I immediatly was intrested, and checked out the book. We were spending that week up at my Grandparents log cabin up in the Rockies, and I took the book along with me. Each day, we would take the four hour round trip from our school and back, (I'm sure it was an 8 hour round trip for my parents, since they would drop us off, go back to the cabin, and pick us back up). Anyways, during that time, I came to learn about slavery, Gettysburg, the North and the South, and, of course, Lincoln. After reading, and rereading that book, I found a fierce love for it, and my longest standing opinions of the war were founded during that time.

So, I have to thank my stars that I went to school, I guess. Or else, I might never have gotten into the civil war.

No comments: